May 18, 2014 by Ozgur Ozden
Targeting and identifying your customers is always the first step for creating an ecommerce web site and a successful marketing campaign as described by Laudon & Traver (2013) . I would like to start by analyzing the following table from Forrester Research (2014). Customers using the social media divided into six different categories depending on their age as generation XYZ, Younger Boomers, Older Boomers, and Golden generation. According to the table if you are planning to open a website for younger generation Facebook, Twitter and then myspace must be your main area of focus and if you are to open a travel related website you need to focus more on Facebook and LinkedIn because of the age.
Figure from: Forrester Research
All these social media sites have different advertising strategies and systems. Let us take a look at the advantages of these sites from marketing perspective:
Fan pages, business pages, in Facebook are commonly used by people from all ages. Advantages can be summarized as:
- Limitation: First of all regular friend pages has a limit of maximum 5000 friends but on the fan page you will not have a limit for your friends. So this is a good chance that you will be able to reach broad range of customers.
- Indexed Pages: Some of the public posts on fan pages are indexed by search engines.
- Analytics: called insights will give you a very detailed and specific profile of your customers, which posts like the most and clicked so you can steer your marketing strategy, Frasco (2013).
- Ads are very flexible and can be targeted to your specific customers such as using demographics and locations.
- Newsfeeds are the main idea in social marketing. You send regular feeds to your customers about the promotions, new products so brand recognition can be established quickly. newsfeed marketing is very popular and you customers can share these feed with their friends.
- Fan pages creates more sincere and direct relation with your customer. This will increase and trust and loyalty of the customer. When you post something about your family, customers can comment on it and this increase the interactivity.
- If you are running a fan page or a business page you can define different privileges for your company such as moderator, content creator, advertiser.
- Sponsored Stories help you to post on customers timeline and customers again comment on it and share with different users as indicated by Conley (2013)
We have covered the advantages of using twitter for business before but if we were to summarize very briefly:
Twitter can be used in business with three different ways.
- Promoted tweets: businesses purchase this system to insert their tweets into users timeline. targeting can be done on demographics and location based. Direct interaction with the consumers has the priority here.
- Promoted trends: Companies purchase promoted trends to enter the “trending topics” list. Their trends listed as at the top of the list.
- Promoted accounts: more followers can be obtained by this system .
LinkedIn has similar system and strategies to boost your business
- You can join other groups where your target customers is mainly located.
- You can create your own LinkedIn group and share information about your company to target large amount of customers.
- Contributing and preparing articles in or out of your group will carry your business into expert status and this will definitely increase the trust and followed by loyalty as indicated by Schiff (2014).
All these systems are suitable to speed up your business and reach to large amount of customers.
There are many reasons why people really addicted to social media. Mueller (2014) explains this addiction as nobody would like to be alone and we always seek to be a part of the community, this proves our existence and approval by the society. Social media given people tools for self expression and freedom of speech, we all like this feature. We can connect with new people and communities so our boundaries can be expanded.
It is the same for being part of a fan page or a business page. We express our characteristics to the other people. By following a business or a fan page we accept them into our private circle and ready to know more about the brand. I believe that this is mainly a psychological issue and companies getting benefit from this fact.
Word Count: 726
New References: 4
Laudon, K.C, Traver, G.C., (2013, p322), E-Commerce 2013 Business.technology.society., New York, 9th edition, Pearson Education Limited
Forrester Research (2014), Social Media, (Online), Available at: http://www.forrester.com/home/ [Accessed at: 4.4.2014]
Frasco, S., (2013), 15 Benefits of Having a Fan Page Over a Personal Page on Facebook, (Online), Available at: http://socialmediatoday.com/stephaniefrasco/1446966/15-benefits-having-fan-page-over-personal-page-facebook [Accessed at: 4.4.2014]
Conley, W. (2013),The Advantages of a Company Having Its Own Facebook Account, (online), Available at: http://smallbusiness.chron.com/advantages-company-having-its-own-facebook-account-29699.html [Accessed at: 5.4.2014]
Schiff, J., (2014), 8 Ways to Use LinkedIn Groups to Boost Your Business, (online), Available at: